Capital One Privacy
Breach Class Action
Higgerty Law is registering clients in a class action against Capital One for a privacy breach which occurred on or about July 30th, 2019 on behalf of the reported six million Canadian victims whose personal and confidential information was compromised.
Higgerty Law has filed an Alberta Class Action Lawsuit against Capital One Services (Canada) Inc., Capital One Financial Corporation, and Paige Thompson, in relation to a privacy breach which occurred on or about March 22, 2019, but was not disclosed to the general public until approximately July 30th, 2019. It is alleged that Paige Thompson, a resident of Seattle, Washington, USA, illegally accessed, compromised, and stole the information stored on Capital One Canada and/or Capital One US databases.
Approximately six million Canadians are potentially exposed to a substantial risk of identity theft and financial fraud. It is alleged that Capital One breached their obligations to their clients by failing to safeguard their private and sensitive information within their databases. Capital One has begun contacting affected individuals by email and letter mail.
According to Capital One, the following information was accessed:
- Personal Information routinely collected at the time credit applications were received, including name, address, postal code, phone number, email address, date of birth and self-reported income;
- Customer status data, including credit score, credit limit, account balance, payment history and contact information;
- Fragments of customer transaction data from a total of 23 days during 2016, 2017 and 2018; and,
- Social insurance numbers.
- Capital One has begun contacting affected individuals by email and letter mail.
On behalf of any and all Canadians, Higgerty Law is seeking $100 million in general and special damages.
These allegations have not been proven in Court.
Please note you are not charged ANY upfront fees for engaging us to represent you in this class action. Our law firm will be paid from recovered proceeds if this class action is successful.
August 9, 2019 – Statement of Claim filed